What To Expect
Giggling Goat offers a wide range of child life services that complement and enhance care provided by pediatricians, primary care providers, mental health professionals, and social workers.
Through patient preparation, teaching, and support, Giggling Goat can help clinicians efficiently accomplish treatment goals while minimizing the patient's emotional and physical distress.
- We focus on family centered care, by approaching services which aim to reduce overall anxiety, increasing coping abilities and allowing the child to as much a part of the plan as they are able through offering real choices!
- Explaining what is going to happen in terms a child can understand and relate too.
- Address fears and misconceptions about procedures and plan.
- Utilizing teaching tools such as; medical play on a puppet or doll, fun videos and even games can all assist in preparation.
- Preparation may involve parents and siblings depending on the cognitive ability of the child and procedure.
- Often times preparation has allowed a child to relieve some anxiety and feel a sense of control over what is going to happen.
- If parents are able to be present for the procedure we encourage and help with comfort positioning.
- In the event a parent in unable to be present, Child Life acts as the full support person; throughout the entire procedure and recovery.
- The One Voice philosophy is utilized.
- Child Life Specialists always have a bag of fun with them. Inside the bag are many developmentally appropriate play and distraction items to help your child get back to giggling.
Post Procedural Support:
- Support and recognition are given to the child for being super brave.
- This may include a choice prize from the treasure chest.
- Additional medical play is available if the child is in need of extra reassurance