Special Needs Advocacy and Support
Parents of children with special health care needs we are here for you!
- If you are a parent or caregiver of a child who has a physical, developmental, behavioral or emotional condition or disability we understand.
- We know how stressful and frustrating it can be to advocate for the best interest of the child and your own unique situation.
- Focused on family centered care we want to include your voice in the care your child receives. Knowing that each child's temperament is unique, advocacy and support is tailored to each child's specific ability to cope while offering real choices!
Creating a supporting environment can sometimes mean allowing the parent to take a much needed break. Child life specialist's are able to take over for the parent/caregiver and be the sole support person for any procedure. Often times a familiar face and plan helps to ease anxiety during routine appointments.
Goat offers a wide range of child life services that complement and enhance care already provided by pediatricians, primary care providers, mental health professionals, and social workers.
Through patient preparation, teaching, and support, Giggling Goat can help clinicians efficiently accomplish treatment goals while minimizing the patient's emotional and physical distress.
We Can Help Support your Child's Special Needs
Giggling Goat can prepare children with special needs for a variety of medical procedures, dental procedures, and diagnostic tests:
With advanced preparation, children often experience:
- reduced anxiety
- improved cooperation,
- increased comprehension of medical information.
Examples of ongoing reasons for preparation or support:
- Blood draws & IV insertion
- MRI & CT scans
- X-rays & Fluoroscopy
- Upcoming surgery (inpatient or outpatient)
- Cast placement or removal
- Suture or staple removal
- Intramuscular Injections
- VCUG, Barium enema, or other invasive procedures
- PICC line placement, dressing changes, and removal
- Port-a-cath placement & access
- EEG studies
- Sleep study
- Orthotics or prosthetic fittings
- New medical equipment or hardware
- Wound care
- Teeth cleaning
- Cavity repair
- Dental procedures requiring anesthesia administration
- New diagnosis
- Legacy building
- And many many more!